Happy Valentine’s Day!!
A Sweetheart of a Dessert
Chocolate and strawberries are a perfect pair on Valentine’s Day because they are both are considered “love” foods. Back in Roman times, strawberries were considered the symbol of Venus, the goddess of love because of their bright red color and sweet, voluptuous taste. Chocolate on the other hand, stimulates the pleasure center of our brains, giving us the same feeling as being in love, so a perfect combination. Ooh la la!
Chocolate Strawberry Cheese-Less Cakes
This recipe is made with raw cashews to give it that creamy, cheesy-like taste. Even though this is a sweet treat to be consumed occasionally, it is still relatively low in sugar and contains a small amount of Vitamin C and Iron.
PLEASE NOTE: THE CASHEWS NEED TO BE SOAKED FOR AT LEAST 4 HOURS BEFORE MAKING RECIPE.
Servings: 15 one-piece servings
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
- 3-4 large strawberries, diced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon non-alcoholic vanilla extract
- ½ cup low sugar dark chocolate chips
- Optional: Freeze dried “Just Strawberries”
- Place the cashews in a small bowl. Cover with water and a lid. Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (or even overnight). Remove from fridge and strain cashews.
- Add the cashews, coconut oil, strawberries, maple syrup and vanilla to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste to make sure that it has the strawberry flavor you enjoy.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour the blender mixture into the loaf pan on top of the parchment paper and cover. Place in the freezer until mixture starts to solidify (about an hour).
- Remove from the freezer and cut into bite size squares. Or using a cookie cutter, cut out heart shapes out of the strawberry mixture. Place these shapes back into the loaf pan and return to the freezer for an hour or two if not overnight.
- When the strawberry cheese-less cake is frozen, place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Then melt the chocolate on low heat in a small pan. Dip the frozen shapes into the melted chocolate, trying to cover them completely. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. If needed drizzle additional chocolate on top or on the sides so that is fully covered.
- Top immediately with optional freeze-dried strawberries.
- Place tray back in the freezer until chocolate hardens (about ½ hour).
- Let cheesecake thaw for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Most importantly, enjoy with your favorite Valentine!
P.S. I made my favorite chocolate covered strawberries with the leftover strawberries and chocolate. Yum!
Recipe adapted from Love Me, Feed Me- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake Bites.