Grilling season is here!
Summertime is a great time to grill veggie skewers. Fresh, light and a quick healthy meal you can make during the week. Don’t have a grill?? Use an oven broiler instead.
To really make it pop, we decided to add a fresh chimichurri sauce to the bobs before cooking. Chimichurri was invented by a soldier fighting for the independence of Argentina. His name was Jimmy McCurry and since people had trouble pronouncing his name, it morphed in the word “chimichurri.”
This recipe is an excellent source of Vitamin C and A, calcium and iron. It is also a rich source of protein and a good source of fiber.
Serves: 4 Kabobs
To make the sauce:
Ingredients for chimichurri sauce
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil
- 1/8th cup red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion for flavoring.
- Place al of the ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
To make the Veggie Kabobs:
Ingredients for the Kabob
- 1 full block of extra firm tofu (14 ounces)
- 4 cloves of whole garlic cloves
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- ½ green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 8 organic grape tomatoes
- ½ zucchini
- 4 broccoli florets
- ½ red onion
- Fire up the grill or preheat oven on broiler setting.
- Cut tofu into chunks.
- Cut bell peppers, jalapeno, zucchini and red onion into 4 chunks.
- Add vegetables and tofu one at a time onto vegetable skewers.
- Place on a baking sheet or grill.
- Top with 1-2 tablespoons of chimichurri sauce.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then flip kabobs over and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Place on a plate and serve immediately. Top with additional sauce as desired.